The Art Deco Historic District in Miami has the nation’s largest concentration of Art Deco properties which features over 900 historic buildings.
Art Deco is not only an architectural style, but an overall design aesthetic first popularized in 1920s Paris, which then spread throughout the world during the 1930s and up until World War II.
In Miami, most of the Art Deco buildings were built during the 1930s and ‘40s. Considered historic, the buildings were designated a National Register District in 1979.
In addition to Art Deco architecture, you can also find Mediterranean Revival and MiMo (Miami Modern) styles throughout the area.
Take a Tour, Visit the Museum
Enjoy guided walking tours led by the Miami Design Preservation League! These tours take you through this area, between 5th Street and 23rd Street and along Ocean Drive, Collins Avenue and Washington Avenue, to provide interesting and historical architectural insight
We encourage you to visit the Art Deco Museum to better understand cultural heritage of Miami Beach.
There are daily tours are at 10:30 a.m. and Thursday at 6 p.m. Self-guided audio tours and private tours are also available.
The Art Deco Welcome Center is open every day from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Located inside the Art Deco Welcome Center, the Art Deco Museum is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday to Sunday, Thursday until 7 p.m.
Things to See
Some architectural details to notice during your Art Deco stroll:
- Pastel colors, floral and aquatic embellishments, and nautical elements reminiscent of ocean liners are all signatures of Art Deco style.
- Art Deco buildings place an emphasis on symmetry and ziggurat (stepped) rooflines.
- An overhang is an architectural element called an eyebrow. In Art Deco buildings these are typically seen over windows to shield from sun and rain.
- Many buildings feature porthole windows that add a nautical element.
- Art Deco themes such as birds, fish or palm trees can be seen in relief facades.
- Neon lighting! Neon lighting is a signature of the Art Deco era in Miami.
Learn More about the Area
Interested in learning more about Miami Beach architecture or culture? Contact our Concierge for more information on our hotel and other Art Deco properties in the area.
Book Your Stay
Ready for some fun in the sun? Leslie Hotel is an intimate 35-room boutique hotel in the heart of Miami Beach just steps to the beach. Relax at our boutique beach hotel and enjoy the sun on our rooftop terrace, which features a pool, jacuzzi, and cabanas with all-day service.
If you’re thinking of booking a beach vacation, there is no better place than Leslie Hotel. Book your stay with us and save on rates!